Effective January 1, 2023, permitting requirements for temporary signage including banners and windfeather signs will again be enforced after being suspended the past two years.
What are the types and requirements of temporary signs for commercial and non-residential properties?
Allowable temporary signs are typically banners attached to the ground or building, portable signs, and occasionally windfeather-style signs. “Yard signs,” typically the small wire frame signs placed in the ground, are not allowed on non-residential properties outside of a designated election period.
What happens if I have a temporary sign up without a required permit after January 1, 2023?
If a property has unpermitted temporary signage up, and does not receive a permit for or remove the signage within a specified period, the property owner is subject to a notice of violation. State law requires that the notice go to the property owner as listed on the Seminole County Property Appraiser’s website. If the situation continues to go unresolved, the case will go before the Special Magistrate and the property owner may be subject to fines – even if it was a business on the property that caused the violation.
What do I need to do now?
If you have temporary signage up now, you will need to apply for and receive a temporary sign permit for your banner, windfeather, or similar temporary sign through the City’s Community Development Department before January 1, 2023.
For more information on allowable signs, please contact the Planning Division at (407) 260-3462 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Temporary Sign Guide
This is a guide intended to provide a shortcut to the City’s temporary sign requirements. For the full code language, visit Longwood’s website or search “Longwood Municode” and review Article VI Signs of the Longwood Development Code.
Size and Location
- 1 standard 32 SF max. ground or banner sign per parcel
- OR a portable/trailer type sign, except on parcels that have signage with an electronic message center
30 days up, 90 days down
On a parcel or development where a business tax receipt for a new or relocated business has been issued
- 1 32 SF max. ground sign per qualifying business
- 1 32 SF max. building banner per qualifying business
- 1 windfeather sign per qualifying business per 50 feet of linear frontage of business, (maximum of 3 total windfeather signs per parcel or development regardless of number of businesses)
90 days from issuance
Completed submittal of permit application for Site Development Plan or Building Permit for build-out, or for a new or repaired permanent sign
- 1 additional 64 SF max. standard sign (or two 32 SF max. signs) per parcel on which the development is proposed
Duration of applicable permit
Allowed on a parcel where a portion of the property or building is for sale or lease
- 1 additional 32 SF max. ground or banner sign per parcel with property for sale or lease.
While any portion of the property or building is available for sale or lease